- 1 Cup Urad Dal (White Lentils)
- 1 Cup Chana Dal (Yellow Split Peas)
- 0.5 Cup Moong Dal (Yellow Petite Split Lentils)
- 1 Cup Rice (Basmati or Long Grain)
- 10 oz pack of fresh baby spinach (Washed and Cut into very small pieces)
- Salt to taste.
Note: To make the idli, you need a big pot and an idli maker that together create a stand.
Soak all Dals and Rice for 5 to 6 hours with Fenugreek Seeds in a bowl.
- Mix the urad dal, chana dal, moong dal, rice and fenugreek seeds together. Wash them well and soak for 5-6 hours, then take all the water out and wash them again with clean water.
- Blend the mixture with warm water. Make sure the batter is not too thick or not too thin/watery. When you pour it, it shouldn’t have clumps in it. Keep it overnight so it becomes fluffy and rises. (if it is winter, keep it in a warm place)
After it stays overnight, it should look like this:
- Put water into a big pot(the idli stands should be able to fit into the pot and you can cover the pot with the stand in it). Let the let water boil. Add the salt to taste and spinach to the idli batter. Mix well and put the batter into the idli molds.
Put all the molds on top of each other, put in the top screw, put the stack into the pot and cover it. Cook for 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let it cool for 5 minutes. then take out with a butter knife. You can put a little oil on the knife so that the idli comes out easier.
The first 2 pictures are idli without spinach and the third one does have spinach.
Note: Allergy Friendly, Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, and Nut Free.