INGREDIENTS (4 servings)
1 pound okra, washed and dried (make sure they are dried well so they do not get slimy while cooking)
2 1/2 tablespoons chickpea flour (besan/gram flour)
2 tablespoons ground cumin and coriander seed powder (dhana jeera powder)
2 teaspoons red chili powder (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
2 teaspoons ground cumin powder
3/4 cup oil (corn or canola)
1 cup coriander leaves, washed and finely chopped
A pinch of red chili powder
A pinch of turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1. Slit the okra lengthwise but do not split them into two pieces, They each must remain one piece. Also cut the thick end off.
2. In a bowl, mix the chickpea flour with the cumin and coriander seed powder, red chili 🌶 powder, turmeric powder, ground cumin powder and the garam masala as well as half of the coriander leaves and salt. This is the stuffing.
3. Put the stuffing into the slit okras and then cut the okras in half.
5. Put a deep saucepan onto the stove with medium heat. Add oil and let it get hot.
6. Add the pinch of red chili and turmeric powders into the hot oil. Then add okra and stir gently so that the okra does not break.
7. Lower the heat to low and cover the pan. Let it cook for 15-17 minutes, until it is very soft.
8. Add the remaining coriander leaves, cover the pan and turn off the stove. Leave the pan on the same stove for a few minutes.
9. When it is ready it will look like this.
10. Serve hot, with rice 🍚 or gluten free Roti or naan.
Note: Allergy friendly, Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free and Nut-free.