These warm, syrup soaked cake balls are a traditional Indian sweet . This vegan and allergy friendly version is absolutely delicious.
3/4 cup soy milk 🥛 powder (I used Now Organic Soy Milk Powder, which can be found at an organic market or online)
1 tablespoon Crisco shortening (or you can use vegan butter)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 warm water 💦
2 cups oil for frying (corn or canola)
1 cup sugar
2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
6 pieces of saffron
1. Mix soy milk 🥛 powder, Crisco shortening and baking powder in wide bowl 🍲.
2. After mixing well, add warm water 💦, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it forms a soft dough that is not sticky.
3. Knead dough well ,it become very soft and smooth, it should not be sticky.
4. Form into small balls, about 1 1/2 or 2 inches in diameter.
5. Cover with a damp paper towel and keep aside for 10 minutes (no longer than ten minutes otherwise they will break apart while frying).
6. For the syrup, mix sugar and water in deep and wide pot, let it boil on high heat.
7. Add cardamom and saffron and lower to very low heat once it starts to boil. Let it continue to cook.
8. Warm oil for frying on medium heat until hot. Add one ball and let it fry. Move it slowly and make sure it doesn’t stick on the bottom.
9. Once it is golden brown, remove and put on a dish lined with paper towels.
10. Now check your syrup. Take a spoonful and rub your two fingers in it. It should feel like a thin syrup and slightly slimy. Add the balls to the syrup and keep very low heat for two minutes and then turn off stove.
Eat them warm as a dessert or snack.
Note: Allergy friendly, Vegan, Gluten-free, and Nut-free.