- 1 cup flat rice
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy butter (you can use corn oil or canola oil instead)
- 2 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- 3/4 cup jaggery sugar
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 10 strands of saffron
- a few drops of gluten free organic yellow food coloring (I used red food coloring as I don’t have yellow)
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
this is flat rice:
underneath the glass bowl is flat rice ground up a little:
these are golden raisins and pumpkin seeds:
- Grind the flat rice. Put a pan on the stove over medium-low heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter. and then add in the ground flat rice. Roast it for 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the milk and stir continuously so no clumps form. When the mixture is boiling, add in the jaggery sugar and stir. It will start getting thicker the more you stir. If you are using pumpkin seeds, add them in along with the saffron strands and gluten free yellow food coloring.
- Put in the rest of the butter and raisins and stir until your fingers don’t stick to the mixture and the mixture doesn’t stick to the pan. Mix in the cardamom powder and turn the stove off.
- Put the halwa into a nice bowl and garnish with pumpkin seeds and raisins.
Note: Allergy Friendly, Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, and Nut Free.