1 cup chick pea flour (besan)
4 1/4 cups water
1 cup broccoli, washed and cut into small pieces
1 cup, cabbage, washed and cut very thin
1 cup cucumber, washed and cut into small pieces
1 cup of bell pepper, washed and cut into small pieces
1 carrot, washed, peeled, and cut into small pieces
1 medium tomato, washed and cut into small pieces
salt to taste
1 teaspoon crushed cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon ajwain seeds (carom)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 or 2 green chili peppers, washed and cut into very small pieces
1 teaspoon red Kashmiri chili powder (or to taste)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons corn oil or canola oil
1/2 cup coriander leaves, washed and cut into very small pieces
- Take a bowl and put the flour and 3/4 cup of water in. Whisk them together until they are combined, with no clumps. Then put two and half cups of water, (you should have 1 cup left for later) and mix together until combined with no clumps (the mixture will be liquid)
- Add in the broccoli, cabbage, cucumber, bell pepper, carrot, and tomato. Mix well. Next, add in the salt, crushed cumin, ajwain seeds, turmeric powder, green chili, Kashmiri chili powder, and lemon juice. Mix well and adjust the amount of salt and lemon juice to taste.
- Pour the oil onto a non-stick pan and put it on medium heat to let the oil get hot. Add a pinch of Kashmiri chili and turmeric powder. Next, add the vegetable mixture and stir on medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, change the heat to low and continue stirring so as not to let it stick to pan. The mixture will become thick and once it does, add the rest of the water (1 cup) and let it cook.
it should look like the picture below when it first goes into the pan
Once it looks like this, it is ready to come out of the pan.
- When it becomes very thick in the pan, it is ready. It should look like the picture above. (you can put little in dish and let cool when it cool it won’t stick on your finger or dish then it ready )
Take a dish and grease it. Put the entire mixture in and spread it into an even layer to let it cool for about 10 minutes. When it is cool, it shouldn’t stick to your finger or to the dish.
- After the mixture is cool, cut it into pieces. The pieces should be 2 inches wide and 6 inches long. Roll them into logs and put a non-stick pan with a thin layer of oil onto low heat. Put the logs to roast a little bit. The sides should be golden brown. This happens very quickly. Serve hot with ketchup, sweet sauce or spicy sauce. Serve it plain or in a sandwich with slices of cucumber and tomato.
Note: Allergy Friendly, Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, and Nut Free.