For the flatbread (roti):
Follow the steps in this recipe for Gluten-Free Roti / Chappati / Flatbread but do not cook, just roll it out. Also since Puran Poli recipe requires more servings of the flatbread, please make three times the recipe. For example use three cups of the flour instead of one cup.
For the stuffing (Puran):
2 cups toor dal ( split pigeon peas )
1 1/2 tablespoons oil, corn 🌽 or canola
1 3/4 cups jaggery, broken into smaller pieces (Indian cane sugar also known as gud or gur)
1 teaspoon crushed cardamom
For making the Puran Poli:
1 cup of rice flour
1/2 cup oil for cooking, canola or corn.
- Wash the toor dal three times.
Cook in a pressure cooker for three whistles. To cook in the pressure cooker, use a smaller pot that will fit into the pressure cooker and put the dal in the smaller pot. Add water so the it covers the dal and is a 1/2 inch above the dal. Also put three cups of water in the pressure cooker itself but not into the smaller pot. Once there have been three whistles or pressure releases, let it cool and then release.
Strain the dal in a sieve type strainer. Once strained, transfers the dal to a microwave safe bowl and add the jaggery. Mix well dal is cook transfers in microwave safe pot ,mix jaggery in and mix well. Microwave for ten minutes. Remove bowl from microwave and mix well so that the jaggery is mixed in.
It should look like this.
- Microwave for seven more minutes but it is important to stop the microwave and stir it often so it doesn’t burn. It will become thick.
- Microwave for another 5 minutes and again, it is important to stop the microwave and stir it often so it doesn’t burn. It will be thick and creamy like this ( if you think it is little watery then microwave for 3 or 5 more minutes)
- Let it cool for 30 to 40 minutes and then roll into golf ball size balls.
- Take one ball and place it in the center of one rolled roti/flatbread.
- Fold the roti/flatbread over the ball so that the ball is completely covered by the flour. Then roll it into a smooth ball in the palm of your hand.
- Sprinkle some rice flour on both sides of the ball and gently roll it into a 1/4 inch thick flat disc.
Heat a flat pan on medium low heatand cook each side of the roti for 30-40 seconds until slightly golden brown. Then add oil on each side and cook for another 5-10 seconds on each side. Serve warm with dairy free butter.
Note: Allergy friendly, Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Nut Free.